Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Week 10 Storytelling: The Human Dog Friend

Author's Note: The story that I have written, "The Human Dog Friend" is based off the tale, "The Dog-Husband" in the "Tales of the North American Indians" unit. "The Dog-Husband" is about a girl who has a dog that turns into a human at night. The girl becomes pregnant and discovers that the dog is the cause. I didn't get my story idea off the whole tale, but instead I got my story idea when I first read the part about the dog waking up in the middle of night and becoming a human. This tale was a very weird, unique style that I found really interesting. I used the animal as the storyteller in my story because it makes it a little more fun to read from a dog's perspective in my opinion. My main idea for the story is to create a different story told by a dog who lives a different life when the sun goes down. Another goal of mine was showing the passion that dogs have for their owners and how they will do whatever to please them. I have a golden retriever, so I know first hand how passionate they are and how all they want do is make their owner happy.


The Human Dog Friend

My name is Chance and I am a 3 year old Golden Retriever. I am not your average Golden Retriever, however, as I have the power of doing many different things that not any other dog can do. My owner thinks I am a normal dog, as well as everybody else too. What people do not know is that I am only a dog during the day. Thats right, you heard me, only in the day. I turn into a human at night. My owner is an elderly man who struggles to get around during the day. He is a cancer fighter who has recently been told he only has two months to live. He struggles with getting out of bed, cleaning up the house, getting groceries and running various errands. I believe I was meant to be with  my owner because he needs me. He needs someone who can help him with all those things, but he is too stubborn to hire someone to help him do it. I believe God placed me on this earth and in this man's home specifically to help him. 
During the day, I am the typical dog. I sleep, I eat, I poop, I whine because I want to go on a walk. Every day my owner wakes up and takes me outside to throw the tennis ball for about 20 minutes and after that, I am exhausted and nap the rest of the day. I only nap until the sun goes down and my owner crawls in bed. Once I hear a slight snore out of him, I turn into a human. After I turn into a human, I do all kinds of human stuff such as clean the house, go to the grocery store and get groceries and dog food of course (I of course only eat human food in the middle of the night but have to buy dog food, because I am a "dog" after all, right?), run various errands and all that good stuff. I do all this in the middle of the night because my owner is unable to do any of this stuff at any time of any day. The best part about being able to do this is seeing the confusion on his face when he wakes up to a cabinet and fridge full of fresh groceries, coffee already in the pot and a clean, good smelling house. He always looks at me and says "who in the world does this for me?" As much as I want to tell him, I can't. As far as I know, he believes someone in his family does all this for him. I do it because I love him. Because I see the happiness on his face. I see the stress free smile on his face when he sees all these things done. He loves me more than anything and I love him more than anything. I do all this stuff so that he and I can spend the day together, with no worries in the world. Just him and I spending as much time together as possible before he goes to Heaven. I am not sure what I will do when he passes, all I know is that its him and I for the next couple months and thats all I want him to focus on. That's all that matters. 





Bibliography:
"Tales of the North American Indians: The Dog-Husband" by Stith Thompson (1929)

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea of writing about a dog that turns into a human at night! The original story sounds very strange/interesting, but I like the way you decided to alter it. I have read your introduction so I know you have a golden retriever named Chance! That is such a fun idea to write from his perspective. This is a very sweet story; I love that dogs, especially golden retrievers, are known to be very loyal toward their owners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you based the dog in the story off of yours (I just read your intro a few minutes ago and remember your dog's name!) I have always hoped that my dogs would be able to understand what I say to them. I read the original story (I think... If I remember correctly) and found it (to be honest) slightly weird. Your version is much more refreshing and pleasant to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick, this story was so heart warming! I thought it was cool how you based your story off of a dog turning into a human but doing errands for his owner at night. I think that is so cool that all the dog wants to do is spend time with his owner. I like how in this story you were able to touch on how much animals truly love their owners. Great story!

    ReplyDelete