Thursday, February 25, 2016

Storytelling for Week 6: Tar Baby Saves the Day

Author's Note: Brer Rabbit consists of 16 different tales, each tale telling a different story of Brer the Rabbit, who is known for his tricks and witty personality and getting away with different things. In one particular tale, The Wonderful Tar-Baby Story, Brer Rabbit comes across a pile of tar and constructs a doll out of it. Brer Rabbit wants the doll to respond but never does the doll. Brer gets so frustrated that the doll won't respond so he begins to punch it and kick it and the more he punches and kicks, the more stuck he gets into this doll. Then, Brer Fox comes along and throws Brer Rabbit into a briar patch. Eventually Brer Rabbit uses the briers and all the thorns to escape. My story below consists of an alternate ending in which the pile of tar actually comes to life and saves Brer Rabbit. My main goal of this story was to produce an alternate ending because every time I read something, I think "what if this happened?" or "what if that happened?" so this gives the reader a different perspective and a different story in a way.

Tar Baby Saves the Day

There he was, Brer Rabbit, lying in the briar patch all stuck with thorns in his body, bleeding and desperate to get out. He begged and begged Brer Fox to let him out but Brer Fox had no mercy and decided to walk away, leaving Brer Rabbit all by himself to suffer. Brer Rabbit never thought he would get out, although rabbits are somewhat at home in briar patches, this one was thick. This briar patch was essentially a death trap, any rabbit who previously got trapped in there ended up dying a slow death. So there lies Brer Rabbit thinking his life was about to end in a short period of time when he sees something moving just about 20 feet away. Brer Rabbit thought surely that couldn't be what he thought it may be, the pile of tar that he created into a baby. The Tar-Baby wasn't responding to him, there was no way he could've come to life, Brer Rabbit thought. As the large, sharp thorns slowly dug into Brer Rabbits body, he couldn't go on for much longer. Someone had to help him soon or else he would die, just like all the other previous rabbits that had died in that briar patch. Soon enough, he sees the Tar-Baby rise from the ground and run the other way. Brer Rabbit thought that was the end, his only chance of survival was the Tar-Baby somewhat coming to life and saving him. The Tar-Baby came to life, but didn't want to save Brer Rabbit's life after all the punching and kicking he did to the Tar-Baby. After about ten more minutes of extreme suffering of lying in the pile of thorns, Tar-Baby suddenly appears in the distance dragging something of what appears to look like a fox. Eventually they got close enough for Brer Rabbit to realize that it was Tar-Baby dragging Brer Fox toward the briar patch. Tar-Baby slowly dragged Brer Fox to the briar patch and threw him in there, making Brer Fox suffer what Brer Rabbit had been suffering for the last hour. Tar-Baby, once a simple pile of tar that had no life, walks over to Brer Rabbit, gives him his hand and lifts him up out of the briar patch. "Why are you doing this?" said Brer Rabbit. "Why are you doing this after all I did to you? All the kicking, all the punching..." "I am not doing this for you, I am doing this because I hate Brer Fox. I may have looked like just a pile of tar but I have always been alive and I have seen Brer Fox throw several rabbits into that briar patch and I am not going to watch it anymore."









3 comments:

  1. Nice way to change up the ending of the story! I like how you included the authors note at the beginning of your story. It was nice to know where the original story came from before reading yours. It lets the reader know what you made up and what was original. It was cool how you had the tar baby come to life. It really changed up the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, nice alternative ending to the story. I was glad that you put the author's note first since you didn't retell the entire story, and just the ending. It was an interesting alternative and makes me want to read the original story. For future reference, I would consider a different title and character name since "Tar-Baby" holds a great deal of offensive meaning behind it. A great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you put the Author’s Note first, even though I don’t know the story you’re telling I agree with you: I like doing alternate endings. I really liked your story. It was really interesting and since I didn’t read that unit, I thought it was an interesting twist. I liked the Tar-Baby. I also really liked the picture on there.

    ReplyDelete