Thursday, March 3, 2016

Storytelling Week 7: Two Frogs Swap Lives

Author's Note:
For this weeks reading, I read the Japanese Fairy Tales, out of the Violet Fairy Book by Andrew Lang. The first tale, The Two Frogs, was about two frogs who lived in separate places and didn't know one another. One day, somehow both frogs thought it would be fun to travel to each others towns, not knowing that both of them were thinking the same thing and not even knowing that another frog livd in that town. One frog lived in Osaka and the other lived in Kioto. On their journey, they ran into each other midway and were surprised to see that their reason for travel was the same; they wanted to see what each other's cities were like. They thought "if only we were bigger, we could see both towns from here." One frog got another frogs back so that they could see both cities from where they are and it turned out that both towns were identical and they both thought to each other "if I would've known they were the exact same, I wouldn't have traveled thus far" so they talked for a while longer and then parted ways to go back home. My story will take off from the very end of the original story, accept both frogs decide to switch towns for a day and go to one another's town to experience what they were like.

Two Frogs Swap Lives

"If I would've known that Kioto and Osaka were the same, I wouldn't have traveled this far" said Osaka frog. "They may look the same from here but I can promise you that both towns are very much different and have different things to offer" said Kioto Frog. "I'll tell you what, why don't you keep on going 'atta way to my town of Kioto and I will keep going to Osaka. We'll each spend a day in each others towns, exploring different areas and experiencing different things we don't get to experience in our own town. I've always thought it would be fun to swap lives with another frog for a day. We can meet up right back here tomorrow at this time" said Kioto frog. The Osaka frog at first hesitated but eventually gave in and headed toward Kioto while Kioto frog toward Osaka. Both frogs arrived in each other's towns shortly after parting ways and both were stunned at the differences of each of the towns. Osaka was much smaller than Kioto and had less people and Kioto frog loved the smaller population. Kioto was much bigger with more people and Osaka frog was known for being social so he fit right in with the community. Both frogs explored each others towns for a day, meeting new people, going different places and learning new things. After a day, it was time to meet back up with one another at the top of the hill at which they first met one another. After getting up to the top of the hill, both frogs realized that they did not want to go back to their hometown. They had experienced something different and both frogs loved the feeling of different that they decided to swap towns for good. "Osaka is so small for me. I do not like small. I like big communities with lots of people and lots of adventures" said the Osaka frog. "I would much rather live in Kioto with all those people. "Really?" said Kioto frog, "I find it stressful living in Kioto, as I have lived there for so long, the town is growing day by day and I do not like busy towns. I want to live in Osaka, where everything is quiet and peaceful." Both frogs thought from a distance that Kioto and Osaka were basically the same town until they traveled there and experienced new things, new opportunities and new people. They loved each other's towns so much, they ended up swapping for a week initially and then neither of the frogs wanted to go back to their initial town so they swapped for good. Both frogs found new life in each other's towns and lived happily ever after. This just goes to show you: never judge somebody or something from a distance, experience what someone is going through or experience something you've never experienced before jumping to any conclusions. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow! I read the Japanese Fairy Tales for my reading diaries this week too, and I almost chose to write my story over The Two Frogs. That is such a coincidence! I really enjoyed that story and I really liked your story as well. I think that you did a really good job sticking with the characters traits and giving your own spin on things.

    ReplyDelete