Friday, January 22, 2016

Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset is a very interesting term in my opinion and a term of which I have not heard of until I watched these videos. I think its an interesting topic because I think college has somewhat lowered my confidence over a 4 year span honestly. I love the "not yet" term because I think that still gives students hope. Back to my thought of college lowering my confidence as a student and as a person in general; I have had many teachers (one of which was last semester) that have given C's and D's to almost every student in their class. They claim that "test grades don't matter" as long as you are trying and you are improving over the semester but little did they know, once students got their first test grade back, they were wanting to drop the class and were scared they were not going to graduate. I think there is so much emphasis put on test grades and students think that one single test grade defines your success. I am not the best test taker and have got some D's on some tests throughout my college career but I do not believe that a D on a test defines my knowledge for whatever class I am taking and I think a lot of students feel the same way. I am in no way saying that I don't want to be challenged, because I do, and have been many times throughout college but there are some teachers at OU that do not believe in the "growth mindset" concept and put way too much emphasis on tests defining your success in a class. I definitely think this growth mindset concept is very interesting and I look forward to digging further into it throughout the semester. This is and always has been one of my favorite quotes from one of my all time favorite people:



1 comment:

  1. I'm happy that you were introduced to the growth mindset philosophy! I personally love the growth mindset idea but it drives people to embrace challenges rather than to be discouraged by them. I know what you mean about receiving terrible test grades. Throughout my college career, I have failed several exams, but they power of "yet" reminds me that I'm stupid. I'm just not there yet. I hope you look more into growth mindset activities. They're a great introduction to seeing "failure" in a whole new perspective.

    ReplyDelete